In Memoriam: Maria Floyd & Marvin Traub
USE OF PROCEEDS
The proceeds raised from the Pin Down Bladder Cancer initiatives will go to support Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center's (MSKCC) bladder cancer Translational Science Program. The translational science studies focus on the development of early detection strategies to improve more timely diagnosis and a molecular characterization effort designed to identify the critical pathways driving the growth of bladder cancer cells.
The laboratories working on bladder cancer oncogenome studies (cutting edge, detailed molecular analysis of bladder cancer) are specifically looking for new targets for treatment. MSKCC early work has already identified novel pathways driving bladder cancer cell growth. MSKCC is now pursuing the development of appropriate models to study these pathways and how targeted drugs can inhibit cancer growth. The funds from this campaign will go directly into the hands of world class scientists that rapidly provide the advances needed for this disease.
Belt down bladder cancer
spread the word
Once you have purchased a belt, set up your own fundraising page and begin raising money for this worthy cause. Make sure to share your progress with us on our Gallery page!
WHY Bladder cancer...
The Facts :
- Bladder cancer is the fourth most common cancer in men and fifth overall with an estimated 500,000 people in the US alone currently affected
- Bladder cancer receives 10-20 times less funding than other most common tumor types
- There are 70,000 new cases nationally with 14,000 deaths
- The rate of recurrence is 50 to 75%
- 80% of cases occur in men
- It is the most expensive cancer to treat on a per patient basis